Saturday, April 10, 2010

Surgery & Recovery

I had surgery yesterday morning and was home before noon, wonderfully. As the pain meds have worn off and I've had a chance to see the wound that had to be made to heal me, I am realizing recovery will take more than just a few days. I am black and blue, swollen, and possess a hole not made by God that is equipped with a seton to keep the hole open so infection can continue to drain. I am a little afraid at this point for a variety of reasons, but also a little bit full of hope that at long last healing can come.

The hospital and staff were both wonderfully equipped with comfort and compassion. In fact, it was tempting to move in were it not for the knowledge that it would cost more than your average penthouse suite. We don't yet know how the billing will all work out, but are trusting that it will come together and that we will be able to pay everything off one way or another.

The surgeon has hope that I can have my life back very soon. I'm glad he has hope, because as I figure out what body part is what and see all the black and blue, my hope isn't quite as fixed. The surgeon also is confident that there won't be complications and that the seton can be removed in a couple of months with no further surgery being required. That would be a dream come true. And as I'm living proof that some dreams do indeed come true (I did get to marry the prince of my dreams, well, a lifeguard really), I am going to hope that this dream too will come true in good time.

In related news, the anesthesiologist I had was incredible, and I've decided I'd like to see about keeping her. Not for the drugs, but for the compassion and gentleness she possessed. The nurses were very good and kind, and their personalities were entertaining and made me laugh discreetly at times.

Well, it is time to go attend to myself. Blissfully, my husband is here to care for our son, so I am able to care for just me at long last. The night was not so easy as our son had trouble sleeping since he couldn't nurse with me, so somehow I mothered him last night in the midst of trying to sleep under the influence of pain meds. He was so happy this morning when he could finally nurse. So was I. At least there is one thing I can continue to do for him. But now it is time to take care of me. Bye for now.

3 comments:

FarmWife said...

I'm so glad I got to see you yesterday & although things are a bit uncomfortable (like the grand canyon is a bit big) right now, I'm praying that this is the beginning of the end!!

And can I tell you just how cute that boy of your is? Oh my goodness!!

Avital said...

So glad that you were finally able to receive the care that you needed to repair your body. May you knit together smoothly and quickly. You are in my prayers.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I have been so glad to be getting your updates and know how things are progressing. You're often in my thoughts and prayers and I'm just full of hope for you.