Tuesday, March 9, 2010

On The Subject Of Elephants

If you're on my email list, you already got a note about this, but I wanted to write it here too.

At church on Sunday, some friends gave us a little card shaped like an elephant. Inside it was a check to put toward my surgery expenses. Today, at my post office box in Washington, I found a little envelope with elephants printed across it and a note inside also with elephants. An amazing young woman (who makes me wish I had a single younger brother still) had given us her tithe to put toward my surgical expenses.

As I sat in the car looking at her beautiful penmanship and the check, I asked God if He had something for me. Did He have a theme with these elephants? Was He trying to show me something?

And then it hit me.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

And the elephant that is my expensive medical saga is getting shared for dinner by friends and family who love me and are standing in my corner. I gotta say that elephant eaten with friends is much tastier than elephant eaten alone.

For those of you who are helping carve this elephant up into bite sized pieces, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I don't deserve it one bit, but your kindness and love reminds me that God's mercies are new every morning as I continue on this long journey.

***We are heading to the States in early April to meet with a great surgeon and have him operate to repair my fistula from my birth injury. If all goes as planned, my husband will take off one week of work, unpaid. I will remain with my family for longer so that I can recover. Once I am strong and well enough to travel home, our little boy and I will fly back to Canada.

If you feel led to hep out, I've posted a pay pal donation button. Thank you.

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I wanted to leave a comment over here too - I want to link your post on a future one I am writing to ask folks to help you out. Is there a way to make a link to "My Story" or something similar? (Like the "write to Oprah" post?)

I am so happy that some progress is happening - God is so good!