Sunday, April 1, 2012

Brilliant Parenting Gone Awry

Awhile back, Grasshopper asked how babies get into the mama's tummy to grow there before they are born. I did my very best to explain and give my three year old an age appropriate answer. In fact, I was so proud of myself at the end. (Note to self: Pride is never a good idea.) Now that I think about it, it's a little embarrassing to publicly admit. But it's funny enough to me that it really ought to be recorded for posterity.

"Well, Grasshopper, God gave the daddy some seeds and He gave the mama some eggs. The daddy gives the mama the seed, and if it finds the egg it will grow into a baby."

He seemed pretty content with that answer, and since we'd done a bit of gardening last summer, I knew he was aware of how seeds grow into plants. So I figured this was a pretty good answer. Until last week.

"Mama, I really need a friend who isn't my Mama or Dadda to play with."

"I know, Buddy."

"Mama, I need a brother and a sister too."

"I know, Buddy. I want you to have them too. But you'll have to ask Jesus for that. He's the only One who can help us have a brother or sister for you to play with."

"Mama! That's not what you do! You don't have to ask Jesus! Daddy has to give you the seeds!"

Um, so, yeah, I guess he told me. And when I was telling my cousin this story, she told me how she tells her kids something simple about how God puts the baby in the mama's tummy until they are older and can go into the whole biological explanation. For some reason, I never thought of that. I have a way of making life too complicated, and this experience was really no different. At least it has provided a lot of laughter every time I remember it.

No comments: